ASSM vs. non-ASSM

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 16:41:26 +0000 (UTC)

I am engaged in a discussion about moving from 10g --> 11g. The tablespaces in this particular 10G are all created with the manual segment space management. I am reading the blogs and am aware of all the troubles that ASSM can cause, ranging from wasting space to problems with the free lists and even some spurious corruption issues. However, Oracle made ASSM default in version 10g, and this project is about upgrading a large production DB. What are the opinions here? Does it make sense to go with manual SSM or should I go with ASSM?
--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com