Re: So.....

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 13:33:21 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 20, 4:05 am, ddf <orat..._at_msn.com> wrote:

> > Sounds like nuno is running into the same kind of questionable qa on
> > aix that hpux hit a long time back?

Not sure if it's just qa. I call it just slack processes. The thing works, the problem is that the information to make it work is sparse and scattered and is not consistent. Case in point: why doesn't rootpre.sh isolate and point out what obviously OUI can? It's not like it is rocket science, or like rootpre.sh doesn't do version/patch/ level checking already.
In a nutshell: starting an install tool only to see it "boink" on a step that should have been handled by the previous install step, rootpre.sh, is indicative of a release process that needs fixing.

To add to the fire: an install tool that asks if one wants to use RAC, and when we chose "No" then proceeds to check for RAC pre-requisites, is clearly indicative of a totally deranged development process...

> little longer to see the new release.  It seems Oracle has chosen to
> now stay in its own back yard, so to speak -- a back yard composed of
> SPARC Solaris and a variant of Red Hat Linux -- at the expsnse of the
> other operating system vendors.  Support for Solaris x86 is gone

Problem is: no one wants to use their "backyard". So it's quite likely the "frontyard" will end up ditched as well...

> proprietary x86-type chipsets); Windows is such a vast collection of
> working and barely working offerings from XP through Windows 7 (which
> is nothing new for Microsoft as Windows98 and their failed UNIX
> offering named Xenix [which SCO bought not too long before it felll]
> will attest).

I beg to slightly disagree here. Desktop Windows is not the same as Enterprise Server Windows. Not by a long shot. ES has been stable for a long while and works really well.
I wouldn't even dream of running a production db server in desktop Windows, or even Windows Server.
Of course: it's possible. It's also possible to setup a database in a USB key.
Would anyone in their right mind run a production system like that? Of course not.

When it comes to Windows, there is one horse: ES. The rest is powerpoint territory.
And while for a long time I discounted MSSQL as just an oddity, quite frankly nowadays I find it not only quite usable but also a good piece of software.

> vendors/platforms altogether.  It's expensive to shift a data center
> from Itanium servers to other commodity x86 machines, or to abandon a
> platform simply because Oracle chooses to no longer support it.

Oracle needs to realize that folks run data centres to solve business needs.
Not to satisfy Oracle marketing campaigns. And no: saas is not a solution for "all those pesky support problems".

> Oracle should realize this and return to the 'days of yore' when it
> truly was a multi-platform RDBMS with a single code base and allowed
> shops of any size to use an enterprise-class database.  As ti

That was by far Oracle's biggest market isolator. But the marketing "geniuses" who run the company now, believe they can create an entire market instead of following one.

Good luck with that. I think Kodak just proved it is a good long term strategy... Received on Thu Jan 19 2012 - 15:33:21 CST

Original text of this message