Re: So.....

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 09:29:33 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 16, 8:30 pm, Noons <wizofo..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I start to prepare for the 11.2.0.3 install in our sandpit Aix
> system...
>
> "Everyone else" is using it, says the Oracle used car sales - sorry, I
> mean: the account rep.

Hey, don't insult used car salespeople.

> That means it's reasonably well sorted out, me thinks.
> I mean, if "everyone else" is using it, presumably BASIC INSTALL BUGS
> are ironed out by now?
> And maybe this is a good progression for our tried and tested and
> working perfectly 10.2.0.3?
>
> Yeah, I should have known better...
>
> Ran all the pre-requisite tools/scripts/checks/whatever.
> Checked all the software levels according to the installation guides,
> release notes, etcetc.
>
> All match:
> running Aix 5.3 TL9, which is much more than the official pre-
> prequisite.
> and all listed patches/packages are installed or above level.
>
> Good, me theenks.  This might actually work flawlessly, for once...
> .
> .
> .
> (FOOL!)
> .
> .
> .
>
> Then I crank up the installer.
> Which promptly asks me to trust my life to Configuration Manger.
> Yeah, right: in a pig's arse!   So, it proceeds and trods along for a
> while.
>
> Only to "clunk" with two missing packages:
> rsct.basic.rte
> and
> rsct.compat.clients.rte.
>
> After a bit of digging around the forums, I reach the conclusion that
> no one has a clue how to bypass this, except one of the two, pick
> whichever is less disruptive, to be compatible with those packages:
>
> - install 7.1 Aix
> - install 5.3 TL12 of Aix.
>
> So now, a simple Oracle upgrade has turned into a major OS and DB
> upgrade.

Wouldn't be the first time. Remember VMS and 7.3 Oracle?

> Now:
>
> WTF don't the pre-requisites scripts and tools and doco mention this
> little detail?
> What, the installer knows about it but the pre-req scripts don't?
> And they want me to trust their config manger when they can't even get
> a OS base set right?
>
> If I had trusted the install "process and doco" and scheduled an
> outage for the software install, I'd have been in hot water.  That
> sandpit virtual lpar system has paid for itself more than once!

I can just hear it; "sorry, we don't support virtual..."

And now, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir will perform Fehler bei der Installation with knitting needles stabbing their eyes. http://msbadkittie.tumblr.com/post/66028823/speaking-of-stabbing-knitting-needles-in-my-eyes

> And has been for YONKS!  About time this sort of nonsense stopped
> happening, mr Oracle!
>
> What a sad, sad joke!

The yolks on you. Cross-platform has been in declension for years. While there has always been favoritism for lead platforms, they're not even pretending any more. 12c not planned for any Itanium, OMS not even on hp-ux 64 bit. At least you AIX folk just got it. Assuming you can install it, of course. :-O

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/jan/13/walgreens-accused-coupon-fraud/