Re: oracle + linux/bsd

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 14:08:01 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 12, 1:43 pm, geos <g..._at_nowhere.invalid> wrote:
> I wonder what are the requirements for the minimally sized redhat-like
> distribution (or centos, or fedora) which allow oracle to run without
> issues? suppose I just don't want do download and install those GBs for
> the system. what would be minimalistic distribution to run oracle?
>
> and another question: what is the reason for not porting oracle to bsd
> family systems? are there really serious technical/philosophical
> differences which make porting not an option? I saw some pages which
> describe installing oracle on non-supported linuxes (like gentoo): do
> this, do that and basically you're done and oracle works. but when it
> comes to bsd the only information was reporting Oracle 8.0.5 and 9i run
> on freebsd. it looks like tough task to run oracle on bsd. why?
>
> thank you
> --
> geos
>
> followup-to set for this message to: comp.databases.oracle.server

Google:
minimal gladstone oracle install

Don't know about bsd, 22 years ago I ran O6 on SunOS which was then a bsd variant. I speculate something about shared memory and interprocess communication details. It could just be linux was a religion that got pushed late last century.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
“There are 1 billion mobile connections in China, and two-thirds