oracle + linux/bsd

From: geos <geos_at_nowhere.invalid>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 22:43:14 +0100

I wonder what are the requirements for the minimally sized redhat-like distribution (or centos, or fedora) which allow oracle to run without issues? suppose I just don't want do download and install those GBs for the system. what would be minimalistic distribution to run oracle?

and another question: what is the reason for not porting oracle to bsd family systems? are there really serious technical/philosophical differences which make porting not an option? I saw some pages which describe installing oracle on non-supported linuxes (like gentoo): do this, do that and basically you're done and oracle works. but when it comes to bsd the only information was reporting Oracle 8.0.5 and 9i run on freebsd. it looks like tough task to run oracle on bsd. why?

thank you

--
geos

followup-to set for this message to: comp.databases.oracle.server