Re: Sorry, but...

From: onedbguru <onedbguru_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 16:53:50 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 8, 7:18 pm, Noons <wizofo..._at_gmail.com> wrote: " This is one of the great fallacies of the shared vs dedicated db server nonsense.
Multiple application data in a shared db server is no more exposed to cross-schema peeking than it is in a dedicated server.

Access to data in a dedicated server is controlled by a login and a pwd.
Access to data in a shared server is also (surprise surprise!) under control of a login and a pwd.

"What exactly is the difference that makes it safer to have a dedicated
 server?"

You are kidding, right???? If that is what you truly believe, you might want to consider a career at the local fast food joint. I know twenty-something-year-olds that understand security better than that...

> The complete inability of architects to create a safe application data
> separation in a single server?

> Ah well, but that is a problem with the architect.
> Not the dba, not the server, not the software.
> High time some of these "architects" got their decisions scanned and
> audited for any validity...

" I've long ceased to be amazed or surprised by moronic application  design decisions...
 :-) "

Yep, almost as bad as poorly designed and implemented database engines, databases, networks, servers, operating systems, file systems, micro-kernels, etc, etc, etc and any other technological widget out there and as bad as those that attempt to manage them. Received on Mon Jan 09 2012 - 18:53:50 CST

Original text of this message