Re: replication / caching SQL Server data on Oracle

From: Walt <walt_askier_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 14:34:50 -0500

On 12/5/2011 2:58 PM, mhoys wrote:
> On Dec 5, 5:51 pm, Walt <walt_ask..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> For performance reasons, we replicate a small subset of a remote
>> database on our Oracle instance (10.2 W2k3).  Currently the remote
>> database is Oracle and the replication is happening smoothly (and has
>> for a decade or so).
>>
>> We just found out that the remote data is being migrated to a SQL Server
>> database, so we'll need to find a different way to do the replication.

> SQL Server used to have DTS (Data Transformation Services) - I'm not
> sure it's still called this way. Using DTS it was fairly easy to
> configure and schedule data transfer between SQL server and Oracle
> tables using OLE DB. You only needed to install the Oracle Net client
> software on the SQL Server box and define a Oracle Net alias, and then
> use the DTS wizard to set up the data transfer.

I guess I should have added that we don't "own" the SQL Server database - we've been given an account and granted select privileges on certain tables, but no more. Getting the admins of the SQL Server database to install/configure anything is probably a non-starter. So, whatever solution we implement needs to be at the Oracle end only (where we can install & configure pretty much anything we want)

//Walt Received on Tue Dec 06 2011 - 13:34:50 CST

Original text of this message