Re: Code query for Expert Oracle Practises / by the oak table inc Geist/Hooper

From: Charles Hooper <hooperc2001_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 08:13:51 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 16, 10:22 am, dba cjb <chris.br..._at_providentinsurance.co.uk> wrote:
> After purchasing the book / reading chapter 9 'choosing a performance
> optimisation method'  by Randolf Geist & Charles Hooper ...the first
> quick checkup refers to ' sampling performance with low overhead'
>
> I have been unable to find the script / please could anyone advise if
>
> 1) I've missed it in an obvious location
>
> or
> 2) I am missing a CD with the book which includes scripts
>
> or
>
> 3) Something else!!
>
> regards
> Chris B

Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear about the confusion regarding the scripts. The two chapters that Randolf and I wrote were originally organized as a single chapter 4, and were later split by the editor into chapters 9 and 10. When the book was published, chapters 9 and 10 became chapters 8 and 9, and it appears that the Apress editors missed changing a couple of the cross-chapter references.

The section in chapter 9 that you mentioned should actually refer to the "Sampling Performance with Low Overhead" section in chapter 8 on pages 203-212. The script index on page 294 indicates that the following scripts from the script library are related to that section of the book: LowOverheadTable.sql, LowOverheadDataCollect.sql, LowOverheadInsPercBusy.sql, LowOverheadPercentBusy.sql, LowOverheadProcessList.bat

You can download the script library from the Apress website (http:// www.apress.com/9781430226680 then select the Source Code/Downloads tab). The scripts of interest will be found in the ch08n09_UnderstandingOptMethods\ch09Scripts directory. I just tried to download the script library, and Winzip tells me that the file is corrupt. Let me know if you cannot download the script library - if that is the case, I will try to post it on my blog.

Charles Hooper
http://hoopercharles.wordpress.com/
IT Manager/Oracle DBA
K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc. Received on Wed Nov 16 2011 - 10:13:51 CST

Original text of this message