Re: Oracle joins the NoSQL fray

From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 07:59:25 +0200

On 11.10.2011 02:28, Mladen Gogala wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 15:06:27 -0700, phil_herring_at_yahoo.com.au wrote:
>
>> On Oct 10, 5:59 pm, CarlosAL<miotromailcar..._at_netscape.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Isn't it what they have been doing since jdbc appeared? (I mean, the
>>> SQL they usually write can be called NoSQL...)
>>
>> I thought that was called 'Hibernate'.
>
> It is called Hibernate. The reason is that if you produce a SQL late in
> the autumn, you can take a nap until spring and wake in time to see the
> query come back. There is an old Latin proverb which says "nomen est
> omen". That certainly does hold true for Hibernate. The name does
> describe the behavior of the applications written using it. Also, the
> framework itself can be a real bear.....

I think this can only in part be attributed to Hibernate itself. Ironically it's main purpose (hiding DB details) is also responsible for many abuses because it makes it so easy to ignore internals of Hibernate and the RDBMS used. For example, it's no surprise that you get horrible performance if you do not care for concurrency or use the wrong locking model. ;-)

Kind regards

        robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/