Re: Oracle joins the NoSQL fray

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 00:56:27 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 06 Oct 2011 14:19:25 -0700, joel garry wrote:

> BLISS-86? Mladen, you made me throw up a little in my mouth.
> ftp://freevms.nvg.org/pub/vms/freevms/

It is done. VMS no longer makes any sense today. User base has eroded, people have moved on. I'm not sure that I would even know how to write a DCL script today. EDT without VTx keyboard doesn't make much sense. You really need the "Gold" and PF keys. Had HP acted when it did make sense, I dare say that there would be a completely different ecosystem in the IT today. They also had a chance of killing ASM with the Polyserve. It there was a viable and portable cluster file system, other than OCFS, ASM would have not appeared. HP had an excellent clustering technology that they've bought from DEC and Polyserve and they have completely squandered that away. HP top executives seem like a dilbertian example of an incompetent management. The company is getting smaller and smaller and it has bigger and bigger executives. Funny thing is that they still have a very good chance of making a splash. They have NUMA technology developed for SuperDome. They could make their own fork of MySQL or Postgres, make it into a decent database that could be really useful for large scale projects and offer a cheap NUMA platform. NUMA can beat RAC, hands down, no contest. You don't need any special clustering daemons, shared storage or special communication adapters. NUMA box behaves like a big SMP box and can have a fault tolerance. NUMA technology has the potential of becoming a RAC killer because it's a natural way to extend the proven SMP machines beyond just a few CPUs and has a naturally built in fault tolerance.
AMD already has provisions for NUMA, SGI has already created a viable NUMA platform with its Altix systems. Unfortunately, Altix 4700 is exorbitantly expensive: http://tinyurl.com/3gt6qpe SGI doesn't have prices at their website, but the announcement above talks about the price in tens of millions of dollars. If a NUMA box is offered at $20000 per blade, it could easily kill RAC, because it outperforms it in every way. I'm not quite sure why nobody has done anything like that.

However, based on the HP performance so far and the inclination to ruin great products they paid a lot of money for, I don't believe that they will be able to anything like that. For that. they would need a vision, and I think that they don't have any. I believe that they will be bought by somebody else 5 or 6 years in the future.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com