Re: LOB compression

From: Mladen Gogala <no_at_email.here.invalid>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 16:11:53 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 01 Aug 2011 08:26:46 -0700, Mark D Powell wrote:

> Unfortunately, a lot of the better new features are all extra-cost
> options. It can be pretty difficult to keep track of what is OK to use
> since so much of the extra-charge items come included with the database
> like the AWR. It is there and Oracle automatically collects data but if
> you want to look at it you need the EM Diagnostic and/or Performance
> Pack options.

That is why my management asked me to find a way to decrease the number of Oracle licenses. I first was investigating PgSQL, but that was a dud. I'm in the process of investigating MongoDB for our DW, which would likely relinquish some RAC and partitioning licenses. Oracle became so darned expensive that this project got the highest priority.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com