Re: The artist formerly known as HTMLDB and Oracle11

From: Matthias Hoys <anti_at_spam.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 22:57:42 +0200

"Mladen Gogala" <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:pan.2011.07.16.23.05.56_at_gmail.com...
> The company that I work for uses Apex. There are several simple
> applications and reports created using Apex. There is also a development
> instance which runs Oracle 11.2.0.2 on RH Linux 5.6, 64 bit. So far, the
> developers have been using Apex 3.2, running of an Apex instance, Oracle
> home version 10.2, with the standard mangled Apache server, modplsql and
> "marvel.conf". It was a nice little 32 bit machine which has reached its
> end of commercial life and was scheduled to be decommissioned.
> I was told to install the Apex server on the new shiny development box,
> with 24GB of RAM, 64 bits and 2 4-core CPU's, which also hosts the new
> development instance, the aforementioned RDBMS 11.2.0.2.
>
> Unfortunately, there is no Oracle's version of Apache any more. The old
> 10.2 version will not install on RH 5.6 - one of the libraries is missing
> symbols, will not start. The good news is that Oracle has integrated Apex
> 3.2.1 with Oracle 11.2. RDBMS can assume the role of a web server and it
> is even in DBCA. One needs only to enable RDBMS to serve HTTP pages by
> using DBMS_XDB.SETHTTPPORT and voila, everything is cool and simple.
> There is, however, a problem. Apex server needs to be on the same machine
> as the database. Database and web serving are typically two very
> different types of load and it would be rather hard to properly configure
> the box which would be very active web server, as well as a very active
> RDBMS server. Fortunately, there is a solution for that, too. It is
> delightfully simple and is called Oracle Apex Listener:
>
> www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/apex-listener/overview/
>

> It is essentially a single jar (actually "war") file which is a breeze to
> configure, and so far extremely reliable. It is run simply as:
>
> java -jar apex.war
>
> That's it! It is configured using web interface. No installation, just
> unzip. I've created a short bash script that is run using "nohup" and
> voila, here is a full fledged Apex server. It does require JDK 1.6.0.20
> or newer. Well done, Oracle! Here is my "launcher":
>
> [oracle_at_oracle2a apex]$ cat launcher
> #!/bin/bash
> set -am
> JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/latest
> PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH
> ORACLE_BASE=/software/oracle/base
> ORACLE_HOME=/software/oracle/base/product/11.2.0/dbhome01
> TNS_ADMIN=$ORACLE_HOME/network/admin
> ORACLE_SID=MCST
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib
> PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/bin:$PATH
> WAR=$HOME/apex/apex.war
> APEX=$HOME/apex
> IMAGES=$HOME/images
> cd $APEX
> exec java -Dapex.images=$IMAGES -jar $WAR
>
> The "images" directory is the /i/ directory from the former Apache
> installation. I copied the old 3.2.0 directory and it works perfectly.
> Log file is very verbose and is, of course, called "nohup.out":
>
> [oracle_at_oracle2a apex]$ head -5 nohup.out
> [...]

Did you try the HTTP Server that comes with Oracle Fusion Middleware 11gR1? http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/downloads/fmw-11-download-092893.html Scroll down to "Web Tier Utilities 11.1.1.3.0" at the bottom.

Matthias Received on Sun Jul 17 2011 - 15:57:42 CDT

Original text of this message