Re: Oracle 10 on Solaris 10 - ORA-06553 error

From: neilsolent <n_at_solenttechnology.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 01:09:41 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 29, 5:33 pm, John Hurley <hurleyjo..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Neil:
>
> # The point I am making - life is complicated these days.
>
> It gets somewhat simpler as you gain experience and get older.
> Patterns and underlying principles often emerge out of the
> "complications".

Patterns and underlying principles just don't cut it. Computers tend to deal in binary - they tend to expect something precise rather than a general ideology or a well-meaning concept.

> # As a developer, you may touch upon a wide variety of technolgies
> (every piece of software interacting with most of the others). There
> just isn't the time to be an expert in each.
>
> Any serious enterprise development effort that does not take the time
> to understand relevant details about the database platform that it is
> going to be using "under the covers" is probably going to compromised
> unless the developers ( or at least senior technical architect ) take
> the time to do their homework.

That is not what I am saying at all, you misunderstood. To start learning an application it would be nice for it to actually start up after selecting defaults from the installer. I assume you weren't fed Oracle documentation as a foetus?

> Scaleable high performing applications do not appear just because you
> use a wide variety of technologies.  Realistically the more different
> technologies you throw into the mix the more likely you start swimming
> around in circles.

Well, that's how the world is I'm afraid. It's full of complexity. I am not throwing more technologies into the mix, far from it - I am trying to support the most commonly used applications. I would love the whole world to use one database (so long as it's not Oracle :-)

> # Sometime you want it to just start up without tuning (whatever that
> means, wow).
>
> Is that like start coding before doing a database design?

Did you fully tune your first Oracle database before touching it? Do you realise how crazy that sounds? Received on Fri Jul 15 2011 - 03:09:41 CDT

Original text of this message