Re: Is there any way to organize or group schemas inside an instance?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 08:56:01 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 8, 7:31 am, Big George <jbet..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using TOad and Oracle 11g.
>
> I have a lot of shemas inside an instance... How to organize them?
> What I see is a long list of schemas which could be difficult to
> manage if number of schemas grows up... For example, I'd like to group
> Schema_1, Schema_2 and Schema_3 in something like Group_1, so it could
> be seen more organized.
>
> Group_1
>   Schema_1
>   Schema_2
>   Schema_3
>
> Sometimes a java or .net application uses 3 or 4 schemas... these
> schemas are in the same instance which has other schemas for other
> applications.
>
> Of course, I can use an Excel file to organize schemas, but my
> question is if Oracle offer some functionality to do it.

Schema and user are pretty close to equivalent in Oracle. There really isn't any built in way to organize them as far as I know. Depending on what you want to do with this organizing and who is sharing it, you might just want to make a groups table. Personally, I'd use the spreadsheet for up to maybe 100, table for more. Much larger may call for an infrastructure solution.

For the app I work on, it has few schemata but many users and groups it manages, and it winds up being logically similar to what Mladen suggested, actual implementation mutating wildly over versions as various OS's, db engines and web access is supported. I miss the days when it could simply use unix /etc/groups. It ain't secure unless it hurts.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
"In 2100, if America survives, our descendants will say, “You based