Re: changing to US7ASCII

From: Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 10:25:03 +0200

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 12:32:50 +0200, "Grille12" <grille12_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have a rather unusual request.
>I need to test an application against a US7ASCCI oracle 11 server.
>The server is a 32 bits Oracle 11g 11.2.0.1.0. I have no schema/databases
>installed yet so I am not concerned by any data loss.
>I do my test on a windows box. Unfortunately when installing oracle, I only
>had these charset available (us7ascii is not in there).
>
>WEMSWIN1252
>AL32UTF8
>AR8ISO8859P6
>AR8MSWIN1256
>BLT8ISO8859P13
>BLT8MSWIN1257
>CL8ISO8859P5
>CL8MSWIN1251
>EE8ISO8859P2
>EE8MSWIN1250
>EL8ISO8859P7
>EL8MSWIN1253
>IW8ISO8859P8
>IW8MSWIN1255
>JA16EUC
>JA16EUCTILDE
>JA16SJIS
>JA16SJISTILDE
>KO16MSWIN949
>NE8ISO8859P10
>NEEISO8859P4
>TH8TISASCII
>TR8MSWIN1254
>VN8MSWIN1258
>WE8ISO8859P15
>WE8ISO8859P9
>WE8MSWIN1252
>ZHS16GBK
>ZHT16HKSCS
>ZHT16MSWIN950
>ZHT32EUC
>
>So I choosed WEMSWIN1252 (default one) in the hope to be able to change it
>to US7ASCII later. Unfortunately, it does not seem to be possible.
>Is there a way to change the charset of an oracle server (sitting on
>windows) from WEMSWIN1252 to US7ASCCI?
>Or, from which of the above available charset list can I change my server to
>US7ASCII?
>
>thanks for your help

Oracle is moving away from single byte charactersets. They are deprecating charactersets.
You might need to check in the documentation (Globalization Manual) whether US7ASCII is still supported.

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Fri Jul 01 2011 - 03:25:03 CDT

Original text of this message