Re: Oracle 8.0.5 error

From: Dan <daniel.ostertag_at_visaer.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 17:28:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 22, 3:55 pm, ddf <orat..._at_msn.com> wrote:
> On Jun 22, 11:16 am, "Gerard H. Pille" <g..._at_skynet.be> wrote:
>

> > ddf wrote:
> > > Where is this entry configured:
>
> > > (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=beq)))')))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=orcl)(CID=(PROGRAM=C:
> > > \orant\bin\SVRMGR30.EXE)(HOST=WRIGHT-UUJCBBFS)(USER=Administrator))))
>
> > > It's not in your posted tnsnames.ora file as the SID you have listed
> > > is ORCL, not orcl.  I expect you have another tnsnames.ora somewhere
> > > that Oracle is using.
>
> > > David Fitzjarrell
>
> > An Oracle client does not use a tnsnames.ora to decide to which database it should connect.  It
> > uses environment variables, registry entries, command-line parameters or the connect string
> > entered by the user.   After that, sql*net will be used when connecting to a remote ("_at_") database.
>
> > In Dan's trace you'll see he wants a local, bequeath connection, so even for this phase, no
> > tnsnames.ora is needed.  Nor is sqlnet.ora.
>
> And at 2 AM after a long day of battling with Oracle Support and
> dealing with production issues I missed the BEQ in the entry.  It
> happens.
>
> > orcl may well be a built in, default database that svrmgr30.exe tries to contact.   Dan, did you
> > check the registry for "orcl" ?    On the command line, do you enter "svrmgr30.exe" or just
> > "svrmgr30"?    There could be a "svrmgr30;bat" or "svrmgr30.cmd" lurking around.
>
> It may well be but it does seem strange that it's coded as 'orcl' and
> not the usual 'ORCL'.
>
> David Fitzjarrell- Hide quoted text -

David and Gerald,
Thanks so much for taking the time to help me here, I appreciate it emmensely. I'll try to answer your questions:

  • In the registry under hkey-local-machine\software\oracle, there is an ORACLE_SID entry of ORCL.
  • I checked svrmgr30 and ran it with the .exe at the end and the result is the same. I went to the bin directory and ran from there to be sure.
  • Someone asked about the lower case orcl instead of ORCL, remember this is Windows so the case doesn't matter. I tried both though just to be 100% sure.
  • Also, I'm totally local when doing this work, there is no remote database. What I'm doing is using remote desktop to get to this computer, but it's the database server. So when running svrmgr30, as long as the ORACLE_SID is set it shouldn't care about tns/sqlnet, etc. Correct? What's strange is that it only works when I do the _at_ sign in the connect internal command.

From the trace file it shows that it's using the BEQ connection. Is this normal? Per ddf's question, this entry is configured in the tnsnames.ora file in net80\admin.

Also, somewhere I read that I should set the LOCAL key entry in the registry HOME0 directory to XXXX. Apparently this is to steer it away from the default orcl. Not sure why, I did this and nothing happened. Setting it to ORCL didn't help either.

Any other suggestions as to what I should do? I am completely stumped. Oh, and by the way, I'm building this database for the client because their old oracle server had the EXACT SAME connection problem via svrmgr30. I thought it was a bad install but maybe not. Could it be something with their network? Something with the compatibility of 8.0.5 and Win2000?

Again, thanks for all your help.
Dan Received on Wed Jun 22 2011 - 19:28:52 CDT

Original text of this message