Re: Desperately looking for Oracle 7.2.3!!

From: John Hurley <hurleyjohnb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 16:10:32 -0700 (PDT)

Rich:

Couple of things that Gerard already pointed out ...

# I have been developing off the Application Express platform for
nearly three years now, but I've never done a conversion project before. Still, it looks straightforward and less pain

Your advice would probably be worth a lot more with several medium complexity conversion projects in your experience.

# I have not seen a Forms application before, so I am unable to
comment on what differences you will see when you "convert"

Over the last 20 years we have seen a lot of web development tools. Powerbuilder anyone?

As powerful as Apex is ... migrations from one environment to another one especially for applications that are more than trivial ... are always painful.

Unless the emulation capabilities are so "profound" ( read complicated and perhaps brittle at times ) that the old application runs pretty much unchanged. Received on Sun May 29 2011 - 18:10:32 CDT

Original text of this message