Re: Would you stop for a moment?!

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 11:03:33 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 29, 12:56 am, "Jonathan Lewis" <jonat..._at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> "CarlosAL" <miotromailcar..._at_netscape.net> wrote in message

> > Man, working with databases along the years I've noticed this is most
> > commonl!! ;-)
>
> Strange, my experience is frequently the opposite to yours:
>   The database has clearly evolved rather than being designed, but lots of
> people claim to be the designer.

I just had this experience. A dotnet fellow is working on some web stuff which has to talk to the erp. He ran into an error of a missing table column, and asked the boss about it, who couldn't find the table in the db. Of course, the db blind 4GL has at times evolved more quickly than the databases it accesses, then the db's catch up in various ways, leading to similar solutions to similar problems, or wildly different solutions to similar problems, similarly named. In this case, we have virtual table app-specific metadata in 10g. So you get bit in the nether regions, but is it a copperhead or a midland water snake or a diamondback?

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
“I was a painter, and I got glaucoma. I was a singer, and I got throat