Re: ASM for single-instance 11g db server?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 21:12:08 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 6, 11:41 pm, Tuomas <ho..._at_lut.fi> wrote:

> DBA shold be at least 30% sysadmin and/or netadmin too. Or at least in close
> collaboration with both: Same room or something like that.

Indeed. With us the net loonies, the Wingtel mob, the *n*x bozzos and the Dysfunctional Bloody Ar**holes are all in the same open floor office. And indeed things get fixed and worked on by the right folks, usually within an acceptable timeframe. But more essentially: we tend to catch the problems at inception or design stage, rather than after production has been rushed.
Still have to house train the new PMs, but they'll fall into line soon.

> All packets from application server were sightseeing in couple of nearby
> towns before arriving to db-server. And another tour while going back. ;)

Oh boy! I won't tell you where we found our "dark-fibre" intra-SAN network!...
:)

> Vendors SQL-guys have started to fix these also, another significant
> performance increase coming, I hope.

But it's all Oracle's fault, ain't it? Damn SQL, it's always the problem. Never the space between the chair and the keyboard...

> These things just happen. :)

Indeed! Good story, that one. Surprising how often Ive seen it repeated and I still see it again and again. One would have thought IT damagement would have wised up. Unfortunately, they're all still looking for silver bullets... Received on Wed Apr 06 2011 - 23:12:08 CDT

Original text of this message