Re: RMAN CONVERT DATABASE

From: BillPedersen <wmapedersen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 17:37:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 31, 1:20 pm, John Hurley <hurleyjo..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Bill:
>
> # So, I have an open source ERP application targetted at the SMB/SME
> market place running on OpenVMS.
>
> Glad you are happy.
>
> Not to be nasty ... but just how many real small medium or otherwise
> companies are really going to take a stab at running an open source
> ERP?
John, I think it will depend on how you position it. There are a fair number of "nitch" environments where people have "rolled their own". Usually someone has gotten unhappy with the what exists in an application they are using and then start from SCRATCH - boy, I have seen some of them. This is especially true in the retail environment. So the ability to offer a "platform" where there is some structure and a real database - may be of benefit.

In that regards I think it has potential.

In terms of someone picking it up from scratch, no.

Now, I do have a potential customer who has a retail shop but also is developing a web presence. They have the continual issue of inventory availability and knowing if something is still in the store - when it is not and it is ordered from the web this becomes a problem.

With an ERP for an SMB with a POS interface as well as an interface to the WEB then this issue goes away. Many small retailers who are getting into this environment have a similar problem. Yes, there will also be a need to change their procedures but if they are going to succeed with eCommerce then they have to do that as well and it getting their inventory under control they should then improve their brick and mortar presence, too.

Bill. Received on Thu Mar 31 2011 - 19:37:52 CDT

Original text of this message