Re: RAC question

From: onedbguru <onedbguru_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 17:57:54 -0800 (PST)

On Mar 12, 1:49 pm, Mladen Gogala <mgog..._at_no.address.invalid> wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 18:39:05 -0800, onedbguru wrote:
> > In 11g, the "crs" and ASM are one install and the rdbms binaries are
> > another install - unlike 10g where the ASM and RDBMS could be the same
> > set of binaries - you need to rethink your binaries.   In 11g, the
> > "grid" OCR/VOTE are actually stored in ASM not as a separate device as
> > in 10g.  There are a lot of differences. The installation is also very
> > different in how it does the install and how it does things like the
> > "cluster alias  (aka SCAN VIP)" and you will want to know how to use the
> > SCAN.
>
> Look at the original post: I do have cluster, I don't have ASM. I have to
> upgrade 9i RAC. The standby is on OCFS2. And I did test. What I was
> asking is whether 10g can use Oracle 11 cluster ready services (CRS) to
> communicate between instances? I was unsuccessful with that. I was able
> to make Oracle 10g use Oracle 11g ASM.
>
> --http://mgogala.byethost5.com

It is my understanding that yes, you can use 11g grid+ASM with a 10g RAC database.

Install 11.2.0.2 Grid Infrastructure which includes the cluster stack AND ASM. As stated earlier, the Cluster stack (formerly CRS) and ASM are combined into one.
Install 10gRAC (preferably 10.2.0.5) database software Create and move the database. Received on Sat Mar 12 2011 - 19:57:54 CST

Original text of this message