Re: How to convert data with different charsets into other databases?

From: joel garry <>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 09:17:17 -0800 (PST)

On Mar 1, 11:49 pm, Shahabeddin Hosseinkhah <> wrote:
> hi
> we want to use database link to connect a Database for operating the
> select,update or ... commands,our destination database is WE8ISO8859P1
> and current database is AR8MSWIN1256 cahrset, but when we operate a
> command to view data,all NonEnglish characters appear odd wich we can
> not recognize the appeared text, also if we use convert function no
> change would make, please help us to view right charachters with our
> database link.
> thanks

The problem could simply be in how you are viewing it, perhaps the code set on your PC. MOS has a number of documents explaining NLS issues, the docs have the globalization guide, and Frank has an informative blog series:

You can use the select dump(yourdata) from yourtable in sqlplus to be sure the values are the same from each side of the link.

-- is bogus.