Re: 10g: get multiple records with same value in specific column consecutively without 'order by'?

From: John Hurley <hurleyjohnb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 10:05:25 -0800 (PST)

Frank:

> i have a performance problem for distributing selected data to
> parallel pipelined functions. The worker-threads are started with huge
> delay, because *all* data from base 'select' are fetched first, then
> they are distributed (delayed) to the worker-threads. I want the data
> to be pumped to the worker-thread right away - while the base 'select'
> is still busy.
> The problem is due to a trailing 'order by column_x' in the base
> 'select'. The reason for that again is, that i want to be sure, that
> all records which have the same value for column_x are delivered
> successively one after another without other records interleaving.
>
> I would like to have something less restrictive than 'order by'.
> Like 'group by'. But there is nothing to aggregate here. I just want
> to force, that all records with column_x = <some value> are delivered
> successively in the stream. But i don't care, if all records, which
> have column_x = 7 are delivered before or after all records, which
> have column_x = 5.

Can you add into the SQL a where clause ( WHERE column_x = :bind_variable ) and still use the ORDER BY column_x and make sure that you have effective index on column_x?

Do you have an index on the column at all that you are ordering by? Received on Wed Dec 08 2010 - 12:05:25 CST

Original text of this message