10g: get multiple records with same value in specific column consecutively without 'order by'?

From: Frank Bergemann <FBergemann_at_web.de>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 09:29:59 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

i have a performance problem for distributing selected data to parallel pipelined functions. The worker-threads are started with huge delay, because *all* data from base 'select' are fetched first, then they are distributed (delayed) to the worker-threads. I want the data to be pumped to the worker-thread right away - while the base 'select' is still busy.
The problem is due to a trailing 'order by column_x' in the base 'select'. The reason for that again is, that i want to be sure, that all records which have the same value for column_x are delivered successively one after another without other records interleaving.

I would like to have something less restrictive than 'order by'. Like 'group by'. But there is nothing to aggregate here. I just want to force, that all records with column_x = <some value> are delivered successively in the stream. But i don't care, if all records, which have column_x = 7 are delivered before or after all records, which have column_x = 5.

Is there somehing like 'order by column_x ANY'? Or a 'group by' syntax which doesn't require aggregation?

???

  • thanks!

rgds,
Frank Received on Wed Dec 08 2010 - 11:29:59 CST

Original text of this message