Re: controlling exec plans ( without touching the code )

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 09:49:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 25, 6:56 am, John Hurley <hurleyjo..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> The Boss:
>
> # Kerry will give a presentation on "Controlling Execution Plans
> (without Touching the Code)" at Tanel Poder's first "Online
> VirtualOracle Conference" scheduled for November 18th/19th.
>
> Yeah I saw that but for people who cannot make it ( and it is not
> exactly cheap for the virtual conference ... although high quality
> presenters ) it looks like the same material pretty much was done at
> Hotsos by Kerry.
>
> He made it available online including scripts etc so that other people
> including people not attending Hotsos etc can check it out.  That is
> what my blog entry was trying to point out.
>
> The whole Oracle blogging thing has kind of collapsed unfortunately.
> People get busy at work etc and while they solve problems repeatedly
> at work it can take effort and time away from posting it for other
> people.

I blame that time-suck twitter. People post links to long articles, which are interesting, but take away from thinking and posting time. Plus it simply takes a long time to simply scroll through many short irrelevant posts. Plus posting from phones is slower than from a terminal with a real keyboard, for those who do such a thing. Possibly it is easier to have offline conversations as people respond directly to someone rather than to everyone.

I'd like to say "this too shall pass," but technical efficiency does not derive from social networking. Technological fragmentation of the various types of fora is a fact of life now. There is going to be a certain amount of cliquishness as people want to avoid the hoi polloi so they can have higher level technical discussions (this is nothing new, going back to prove-yourself-worthy bbs's).

The very odd thing is that oracle-l is looking comparatively good now. I wonder why it is listed as unmoderated, though (at http://www.freelists.org/list/oracle-l ).

> People that go as far as Kerry has done for this topic deserve a ton
> of respect.  It is about as much as I can do just to get a
> presentation together every year or two for our local Oracle user
> group.  Life goes by fast.

I surmise it helps to have deep-dive work that directly parallels presentations.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
Santa Claus for grownups: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/oct/24/aykroyd-makes-spirited-entrance/