Re: In 10g, Identifying Tables for Reorg and Compression

From: Gerard H. Pille <ghp_at_skynet.be>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 12:10:50 +0200

Mladen Gogala schreef:

> What would you like to reorganize and compress? Compressing OLTP tables
> in Oracle 10g is not a good idea, you should upgrade to 11g and purchase
> the advanced compression option. As for the reorg, you should probably
> forget all about that. Reorg is done on a business request, as a part of
> the application restructuring. There is one reorg you can do to speed
> things up, it's truncating large table. If you have large tables, several
> gigabytes or more in size, truncating them will do wonders for your
> queries, they will simply fly.

Thank you for your advice, mr. Gogala. We've truncated all large tables and the results are astounding, the queries are fast as lightning. But we seem to have another problem now, in that they are not returning any rows, not even for a simple "select * from ...". After the truncate, is there something we have to do to enable selects again?

Thank you,

GHP Received on Sat Sep 18 2010 - 05:10:50 CDT

Original text of this message