Re: In 10g, Identifying Tables for Reorg and Compression

From: Mladen Gogala <no_at_email.here.invalid>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 22:44:41 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 11:32:00 -0700, if_investor_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I checked google, but did not find much on identifying tables in 10g
> that can benefit (In terms of space reduction) from reorganization, or
> from compression. (I realize that there are many considerations for
> reorg and compression, but I am looking for a starting point).
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> QZ

What would you like to reorganize and compress? Compressing OLTP tables in Oracle 10g is not a good idea, you should upgrade to 11g and purchase the advanced compression option. As for the reorg, you should probably forget all about that. Reorg is done on a business request, as a part of the application restructuring. There is one reorg you can do to speed things up, it's truncating large table. If you have large tables, several gigabytes or more in size, truncating them will do wonders for your queries, they will simply fly.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com