Re: known bugs in 10.2.0.1 on aix 64bit

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 22:59:24 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 16, 2:52 am, "Gerard H. Pille" <g..._at_skynet.be> wrote:

> Ok, ASSM is what I thought it was, Automatic Segment Space Misery.
>
> All these features making the DBA obsolete, you think?

Not at all. I love ASSM, best feature Oracle ever invented! Quite frankly: buffer busy waits get pretty old, after a while! :)

> All the time I spent trying to improve
> the performance of this database, and only because of an ORA-01555 with a parallel query that I
> was investigating, Google came up with this bug, and I realized this database ran a version
> that's almost 4 years old.  Losing my touch.

You'd likely get better mileage looking at why is undo so needed for a parallel query!
Just joking, you got a nasty bug. Hope you find the fix. I know it's fixed in 2.0.3.

I like to spend my time fixing bad SQL and bad design rather than patching bugs. IME, I get orders of magnitude performance improvement by fixing a really bad SQL or PL/SQL section of code than by patching up for bugs here, there and everywhere. To give you a measure of what I'm talking about: our DW produced 100GB od redo logs daily when I started here. And around 1TB/day of reads. In a server that had 100% CPU usage for nearly 22 hours/day.
Now it pumps out 500GB of redo log, around 5TB/day of reads and rarely if ever goes over 30% CPU usage. Most of it due to improvements to SQL and PL/SQL, rather than major patches or release upgrades. I'm happy with that! ;) Received on Thu Sep 16 2010 - 00:59:24 CDT

Original text of this message