Re: off to the farm to start new career ...

From: Tuomas <hosia_at_lut.fi>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 16:22:17 +0300

On 10/09/10 20:19, joel garry wrote:
> On Sep 10, 3:28 am, Tuomas<ho..._at_lut.fi> wrote:
>> (This is mostly about corporate politics, i.e.. off topic, please bear with me.)
>>
>> On 09/09/10 18:32, Mladen Gogala wrote:
>>
>>> As a matter of fact, I tried pushing for DB2 because I am still
>>> suspicious of open source databases, especially after the MySQL story.
>>
>> On the other hand licensing is such that you may use your existing DBs
>> forever and most of the support is community driven anyway (applies, in
>> reality, to MS or Oracle, too), so the impact of the owner changes aren't so
>> major as in the case of a commercial product. If MySQL were a commercial
>> product (actually: closed source), I'd be really worried and new projects
>> would search alternatives.
>
> What do you do when the community goes away?

Even then you have the option to learn it yourself, i.e. increase knowledge. It's a real PITA, I have admit that. But it's possible. ;)

Regarding to MySQL (or forks of it), I don't find it very probable option, the developers have already started a new product, MariaDB and it seems that it will replace MySQL in many distributions as Oracle isn't considered as reliable partner.

Currently it also seems that it will be a drop-in replacement of MySQL, so it sholdn't generate any problems.

We'll see, this is a topic which generates a lot of discussion everywhere, also here. (Sorry, but I didn't find c.d.o.s.discussion -group, does one exist?)

--snipp--

>> On the other hand, the amount of experience and knowledge needed to operate
>> is somewhat higher than commercial products, many products do the job but
>> aren't very user friendly or fine-tuned. That's a major cost sometimes,
>> fortunately not too often. Most of this is internal, our clients have no
>> idea what tools we are using and we are not advertising those either, unless
>> someone asks.
>
> Maybe my view is too skewed, but I see an order of magnitude greater
> costs.

 From the experience or as a vision?

Our company is now about 10 years old (most people have much longer experience) and we haven't had such yet. Maybe it will come, who knows.

--
Tuomas - '63 typ14, '65 typ34 & '61 typ2