Re: off to the farm to start new career ...

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 09:39:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 13, 1:36 am, Tuomas <ho..._at_lut.fi> wrote:

> Amount of hype from Oracle has exploded in last 10 years and I don't see
> respective amount of substance appearing. Maybe it's just me.

Can't say as I agree with this. The further back you go, the worse the hype. The worst I saw was late-'80s, I was with a company that lost out to Oracle at a site - but Oracle was so much worse than RMS files in numeric storage, they severely underestimated the increased hardware requirements, so Oracle wound up having to buy more disk for the customer. And disk for VAX was very expensive then. Wasn't too long after that I decided their marketing is a machine, adapt to it or die. Can't say as I've heard of Oracle buying anything for a dissatisfied customer in the last 20 years.

Every OpenWorld (or equivalent) some people say they won't go because they saw too much hype at the last one - I specifically remember people I worked with saying that 15 and 10 years ago. Even with Oak Table presentations now, can you believe it? Revel in the hype there, it's fun! Teri Nunn, woo-hoo!

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://infoworld.com/t/intellectual-property/oracles-android-lawsuit-pandoras-box-serious-evils-359