Re: xpdp via network_link fails when specifying parallel

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell2_at_hp.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 06:30:16 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 3, 8:25 am, John Hurley <hurleyjo..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Aug 3, 8:20 am, Jesper Wolf Jespersen
>

> <jes..._at_remove.oz8ace.dk.remove.this> wrote:
> > Hello All.
>
> > I am using Oracle 10.2.0.3 enterprise edition on Windows 2003 R2 X64
> > edition.
>
> > When I perform Datapump exports via a database link and parallel > 1 my
> > worker threads die.
>
> > The error message is: KUP-04038: internal error: kupax-meta1
>
> > It seems like its always worker thread 2 that dies, but even though the
> > other threads seem to continue I do not trust the export being performed.
>
> > When using only one single worker thread there is no problem.
>
> > The command line is like this:
> > ----
> > expdp system/manager_at_dbs NETWORK_LINK=P34T_SYSTEM   schemas=(panda,ecom)
> > directory=DATA_PUMP_DIR dumpfile=exp%u.dmp logfile=PandaExport.log
> > parallel=%EXP_PARALLEL% parfile=exp.par
> > ----
>
> > The parfile tries to recreate the consistent=y of the old export
> > utility, the content is this:
>
> > ----
> > FLASHBACK_TIME="TO_TIMESTAMP(TO_CHAR(SYSDATE,'YYYY-MM-DD
> > HH24:MI:SS'),'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS')"
> > ----
>
> > I haven been able to find any information on this behaviour on the net.
>
> > I have used the same command line but without the network_link
> > parameter to good effect, and parallel processing realy speeds up the
> > export.
>
> > But since I need to move data between servers I would need to copy all
> > the files from one server to the next after the export, which is a task
> > that is hard to automate eficiently, since the driving site is a third
> > node in the network.
>
> > In one setup we tried using dual hosted disks, one node can write and
> > the other can read. No problem for the SAN but Windows does not expect
> > an NTFS file system to change on its own, so we have to unmount and
> > remount the drive on node 2 after the export on node 1 before I can
> > start the import on node 2.
> > Also a task which is hard to automate.
>
> > Have any of you had similar experiences and what did you do ?
>
> > Greetings from Denmark
> > Jesper Wolf Jespersen
>
> Any specific reason you are sitting back on 10.2.0.3 when 10.2.0.5
> should be available?
>
> Shot in the dark guess is that you are running into a bug fixed
> already.- Hide quoted text -

I think this is the issue covered by the following Oracle support note:

Bug 5972794 - EXPDP via network_link with parallel > 1 fails with KUP-4038 #5972794.8 The fix is listed as being in 10.2.0.4 on Unix but on windows patch 9 for 10.2.0.3 has the fix.

For now I would try parallel=1

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Tue Aug 03 2010 - 08:30:16 CDT

Original text of this message