Re: Oracle system table

From: Mounilk <mounilkadakia_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 23:28:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 30, 3:21 am, Mark D Powell <Mark.Powe..._at_hp.com> wrote:
> On Jul 28, 10:32 pm, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 10:18:03 -0700, joel garry wrote:
> > > What exactly is your need?  I work on  a database that has many tables
> > > with no primary keys, so the app makes assumptions...
>
> > Having tables with no primary keys is usually a sign of poor design, and
> > therefore the application itself is extremely suspicious. When table is
> > created, there must be some kind of criteria for identifying the records
> > and selecting them from the table. That is what the primary keys are for.
> > There has been, as you're probably well aware, a long debate about
> > "natural" vs. "generated" (or "unnatural") primary key. Each approach has
> > its advantages but there must be a primary key for every table.
>
> > --http://mgogala.byethost5.com
>
> As a historical note it used to be very common for vendor products to
> not declare PK constraints in the database but to include unique
> indexes on the tables.  This was in part because some database
> products did not support constraints and in part due to the menatality
> of "if I have a unique index why do I need to declare a PK constraint
> also".  As mgogala said the application really should be using PK, UK,
> and FK constraints.
>
> As mentioned dba_indexes can be used to find indexes built with the
> unique attribute and dba_ind_columns can be used to find the list of
> columns that make up the index.
>
> HTH -- Mark D Powell --

Hi All,
Thanks for your replies. I am a novice when it comes to Oracle db's, pl-sql et al....I would appreciate if you can give me the query/ queries which i can run to find the information. I know it's kind of spoonfeeding....but I'd appreaciate the help

Regards Received on Mon Aug 02 2010 - 01:28:45 CDT

Original text of this message