Re: Copy 100GB MSSQL 9.0 Database to Oracle 10g

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 10:03:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 13, 9:20 pm, "if_inves..._at_yahoo.com" <basis_consult..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the replies. Some people asked me for more details about
> the
> issue.
>
> There is an MSSQL 9.00 database about 100GB in size that we need to
> get a copy of; To be more accurate, we need to get hold of its major
> schema, and create an Oracle database (Hoping that it will be 10g)
> with
> the same schem, having the same data. (The entire database consists of
> only
>  that schema and whatever the default MSSQL schemas are).
>
> I am not sure if the source DB has unique MSSQL features; I don't know
> MSSQL, and I am not sure sure what to check.

Ah, be careful about tripping over terminology. What Oracle calls a schema, MS calls a database. You'll need to be conscious of this with some tools.

Also see http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/migration/index.html (which is a slightly longer version of what Mladen said in two words). Steve has a good point about using existing expertise. Sometimes that should control the tools decision, sometimes new tools should be investigated. As always, it depends. I'm always fighting with having to let users use Excel as a data loading tool.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/07/technology/07brain.html?hp