Re: Copy 100GB MSSQL 9.0 Database to Oracle 10g

From: Frank van Bortel <fbortel_at_home.nl>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 21:42:42 +0200

On 06/14/2010 07:03 PM, joel garry wrote:
> On Jun 13, 9:20 pm, "if_inves..._at_yahoo.com"
> <basis_consult..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks for the replies. Some people asked me for more details about
>> the
>> issue.
>>
>> There is an MSSQL 9.00 database about 100GB in size that we need to
>> get a copy of; To be more accurate, we need to get hold of its major
>> schema, and create an Oracle database (Hoping that it will be 10g)
>> with
>> the same schem, having the same data. (The entire database consists of
>> only
>> that schema and whatever the default MSSQL schemas are).
>>
>> I am not sure if the source DB has unique MSSQL features; I don't know
>> MSSQL, and I am not sure sure what to check.
>
> Ah, be careful about tripping over terminology. What Oracle calls a
> schema, MS calls a database. You'll need to be conscious of this with
> some tools.
>
> Also see http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/migration/index.html
> (which is a slightly longer version of what Mladen said in two
> words). Steve has a good point about using existing expertise.
> Sometimes that should control the tools decision, sometimes new tools
> should be investigated. As always, it depends. I'm always fighting
> with having to let users use Excel as a data loading tool.
>
> jg
> --
> _at_home.com is bogus.
> http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/07/technology/07brain.html?hp

Ah, but the Migration Workbench allows to migrate TSQL to PL/SQL, too.
Not just data (for which it will generate fairly efficient bulk unload and SQL*Loader scripts).

Don't know if/how SQL Developer handles code and/or data. Don't know the requirements, either.

Be very very careful when this is to be some kind of comparison. Oracle != MS Sql Server!

--

Regards,

Frank van Bortel