Re: Copy 100GB MSSQL 9.0 Database to Oracle 10g

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 14:09:38 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 04:26:45 -0700, Steve Howard wrote:

> I *love* python. 98% of all tools/scripts I write use python, which has
> been the case for only about 18 months or so.

I fell in love in python when I realized that I can use files as iterators like this:

myfile=open(pathname,"r")
for line in myfile:

    line=line.rstrip('\n') # This is "chomp". Slightly longer than the

                           # Perl version, but not too bad.
    do some processing

This is beautiful. No unclear "diamond notation", no "while" loops, just a simple and very logical iteration through the file lines. I am somewhat biased because I have been working with Perl since 1996 and was also using Perl 4, with oraperl, of course. I feel completely comfortable and at home with Perl and it will be a long time before I have the same feeling with Python. Unfortunately, Perl is huge, there are many elements to learn, Perl is somewhat illogical (count of the elements in an array _at_arr is obtained through the conversion to scalar context (scalar(@arr)) and has some strange idioms, like $a ||= 0; which really means if (!defined($a)) { $a=0; }. CPAN is also the Perl's biggest problem because any new version will not be fully adopted until the modules people are using are ported to the next version. With the Perl's atrocious object model, all the modules will inevitably be broken in Perl6. I am afraid that Perl 6 will be syntactically even larger than Perl 5, which means that it will require a significant learning curve, just like the transition from Perl4 --> Perl5. I must say that at this point, I consider learning Python a better alternative to remaining with the huge and slowly developing Perl which has a very strange object model indeed.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com