Re: Copy 100GB MSSQL 9.0 Database to Oracle 10g

From: Steve Howard <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 12:44:41 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 13, 11:30 am, "if_inves..._at_yahoo.com" <basis_consult..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am not sure whether this is the correct group; Perhaps I should
> choose
> an MSSQL one.
>
> Does anybody know of a way to copy a database of about 100GB in size,
> on a Win2003 AMD 64-bit platform, from MSSQL 9.0 to Oracle (Any
> version,
> but hopefully 10g).
>
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> QZ

In addition to what Mladen and Joel wrote...

We did for DB2 to Oracle about a year or so, ago. We ended up writing our own JDBC migration utility, and it really wasn't too difficult. I think it took four hours to write *and* test. We had logging, exception handling, verification, etc.

Of course, that is a two edged sword. As with anything you write yourself, you end up with an almost infinite amount of control, but for a minimum of work, have to have:

  • a fairly small number of changes, i.e. same number of columns with mapping datatypes
  • some degree of java expertise.

After we used it for DB2, we then took it to the next level and extended it to allow us to migrate Oracle to MySQL, etc.

As already noted, there are off the shelf migration tools out there, as well as part of the database itself. It depends, as always, on your needs and areas of expertise.

HTH, Steve Received on Sun Jun 13 2010 - 14:44:41 CDT

Original text of this message