Re: Copy 100GB MSSQL 9.0 Database to Oracle 10g

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 11:25:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 13, 8:30 am, "if_inves..._at_yahoo.com" <basis_consult..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am not sure whether this is the correct group; Perhaps I should
> choose
> an MSSQL one.
>
> Does anybody know of a way to copy a database of about 100GB in size,
> on a Win2003 AMD 64-bit platform, from MSSQL 9.0 to Oracle (Any
> version,
> but hopefully 10g).
>
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> QZ

There are a number of answers to this, depending on what you want to wind up with, and what you mean exactly by copy.

Are you replacing applications?
Are you going to be updating databases in both engines? Are there really spiffy MS specific things?

My general thought would be to put things to a flat file and then use sql*loader, since 100G is likely to take a few hours. But that's only for a one time conversion. There's also odbc links, and Oracle has Heterogenous Services http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B13789_01/server.101/b10764/toc.htm .

Also see http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=317123 There are converters out there too, but I don't know how good they are.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.