Re: oracle 11g takes much longer to start

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 11:08:03 -0700 (PDT)

On May 18, 2:15 pm, zigzagdna <zigzag..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> On May 18, 9:50 am, ddf <orat..._at_msn.com> wrote:
>
> > On May 18, 8:15 am, vsevolod afanassiev
>
> > <vsevolod.afanass..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Could be related to memory management: Oracle 9 and 10 create only one
> > > shared meemory segment on startup, Oracle 11 may create many segmeents
> > > in order to allow dynamic SGA resizing.
>
> > Not necessarily.  9i did not use NUMA for shared segments, although it
> > did use NUMA for private memory areas. 10gR2 changed that and
> > configured both shared and private memory for NUMA which results it
> > multiple shared memory segments created at startup.  This depends upon
> > your hardware configuration and  O/S (both must be NUMA-enabled) but
> > without setting additional parameters or applying a patch 10gR2 can
> > start multiple shared memory segments and you may not know it's being
> > done.
>
> I found a bug in Oracle 11g today related to startup,
> I did startup
>
> It said Oracle instance started
> Shwhed me sga information
> SHowd Database Mounted
>
> After mounted it got hung, in the past after 10 minute sor so, it will
> show I thing database open, but today it did for hours.
>
> I thought my database was not opened. then my users told that they are
> accessing database without problem,
>
> So, I opened another problem and  wow I could connect so database was
> open eventhough it wa shung in startup.
>
> HAs anyone notice dthis with Oracle 11.1.0.7.1
>
> This Oracle is really buggy. I did not notice while I was testing for
> last 3 months, but as soon as I went to production, I have encountered
> this problem.
>
> Now my scripts for shuttiong down database etc will not work because
> they will hung.

I'm wondering whether you are running into something dbcontrol related. Are you seeing lots of cpu usage (see MOS 738115.1)? Are you using the command line to run things, or doing them through dbconsole? Who is using the cpu?

If what you are seeing doesn't match what the users are seeing, maybe you are being misled.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://gizmodo.com/5542252/men-floating-in-bouncy-castle-interrupt-international-sailing-regatta