Re: Why export is not a good archiving tool

From: <galen_boyer_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 22:42:22 -0400

Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, 17 May 2010 15:43:31 -0700, keith.michaels_at_gmail.com wrote:
>
>> I need to know why exporting a database periodically is not a suitable
>> method for preserve access to historical data. A customer with 10-20
>> year retentions is using this to "preserve access" for compliance
>> reasons.

[...]

> export makes it possible for you to store a logical state of your database at
> some important moment, like the end of the financial year.

Seems to me that export sort of solves their issue. They aren't looking for a backup for recovery, but instead, they are looking to be able to go back to a point in time and access some data for compliance purposes. That point in time is very analogous to "like the end of the financial year".

--
Galen Boyer

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news_at_netfront.net ---