Why export is not a good archiving tool

From: <keith.michaels_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 15:43:31 -0700 (PDT)

I need to know why exporting a database periodically is not a suitable method for preserve access to historical data. A customer with 10-20 year retentions is using this to "preserve access" for compliance reasons. I would like to push them towards IBM Optim, Outerbay, Solix, etc. but I don't know how to explain the shortcomings of their method. Apparently the existing records don't have a nice date field to identify old data and leaving it in place doesn't protect it from damage or loss. Received on Mon May 17 2010 - 17:43:31 CDT

Original text of this message