Re: MSACCES.EXE to ORACLE via odbc implicit float number conversion

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell2_at_hp.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 09:17:38 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 28, 6:39 am, HansP <Hans-Peter.Sl..._at_atosorigin.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Perhaps there is someone with knowledge about MSACCESS and ORACLE.
> A new application of one of my customers uses MSACCESS and ORACLE with
> ODBC between them.
>
> During 10046 level 12 tracing I saw bind variables type float
> (oacdty=101).
> The referenced columns are type number so a conversion takes place.
> This causes the optimizer to ignore the index.
>
> Are there any issues regarding floats and numbers and ODBC to Oracle?
>
> Regards Hans-Peter

Prior to 11g Oracle stores all numeric data as data type number. If you created a table in Oracle with a column such as scientific_value float then interally it was a number data type that was constrained by Oracle to only handle values that fit in a float.

When passing float data via ODBC/OLE conversion takes place.

What does the explain plan look like?

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Wed Apr 28 2010 - 11:17:38 CDT

Original text of this message