Re: Copying Backup of 32-bit Win2000 10g Database into a 64 Bit Win2003 Server

From: if_investor_at_yahoo.com <basis_consultant_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 12:03:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 14, 10:56 am, bdbafh <bdb..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 13, 4:21 pm, "if_inves..._at_yahoo.com"
>

> <basis_consult..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> > On Apr 13, 3:25 pm, "if_inves..._at_yahoo.com"
>
> > <basis_consult..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi,
>
> > > We have a cold backup of a 10.2.0.2 database from a 32-bit Windows
> > > 2000 environment.
>
> > > We would like to copy that database into a 10g 64-bit Windows 2003
> > > environment.
> > > We already have the 10g binaries (Also 10.2.0.2)  installed on x64
> > > Win2003.
>
> > > Can this be done? If so, is the procedure documented anywhere?
>
> > > Thanks,
> > > IF
>
> > Hi,
>
> > After some research, my tentative procedure is as follows, though I am
> > not sure if it will work from 32 bit Win2000 to x64 Win2003; My
> > reference
> > is Metalink Doc 341880.1 (Though it is for Linux).
>
> > Will this work?
>
> > (i) Copy the datafiles and recreate the control file.
> > (ii) Alter database open
> > (iii) Startup upgrade
> > (iv) Run _at_$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/utlirp.sql
> > (v) shutdown immediate;
> > (vi) Startup upgrade
> > (vii) Run _at_$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/utlrp.sql
>
> > Thanks,
> > IF
>
> Why are you re-creating the controlfile?
> Are you simply relocating files to a different physical location?
> If so, you can do so with the database in a mount state prior to
> upgrading it.
> In step (ii) - why open the database, then shut it down and startup
> upgrade? Skip step #2.
>
> Nowhere do you mention the parameter file or spfile and password file.
> You also don't mention the listener service, or creating the OS
> service used to start the instance.
> It appears that you are overlooking quite a few details.
>
> Please review the following doc:http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14238/toc.htm
> OracleŽ Database Upgrade Guide
> 10g Release 2 (10.2)
> Part Number B14238-02
>
> After you're done with the db word size change, you'll want to apply
> the 10.2.0.4 patchset and consider testing the latest quarterly
> critical patch update or patch set update.
>
> -bdbafh- Hide quoted text -

Hi bdbafh,

Thanks for the info. True, I did not mention all of the details..I wanted to
find out whether this restore of a Win2000 32 bit DB into a 64 bit Win2003
envirornment will work.

I am recreating the control file, and moving the datafiles to the Win2003 server.

It is actually an SAP database, so the first step I need to do is run the SAP
procedure that creates the SAP kernel, the Oracle services, etc...

I may need to adapt some parameters in the spfile or *.ora file.

Thanks,
IF Received on Wed Apr 14 2010 - 14:03:37 CDT

Original text of this message