Re: Can a procedure contain only a SELECT statement?

From: Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 20:39:03 +0100

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 22:26:44 -0400, Thomas Gagne <TandGandGAGNE_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>My background is Sybase & SqlServer. On both, due I'm sure to a common
>heritage, a stored procedure is capable of being as simple or complex as
>the programmer wants. Sometimes, all that is needed is a select
>statement. Sometimes even simple projections may require multiple steps
>to prepare the last SELECT. Additionally, stored procedures are capable
>of returning multiple result sets. I assumed, incorrectly, such a thing
>was not so complicated that it couldn't be easily done inside Oracl

Mickeysoft has never understood the Procedure concept, and ignored the formal defintiion and abused it to return a result set. It seems like you belong to the class of sqlserver 'developers' which is so narrow-minded they automatically reject everything done differently by Oracle and start bashing Oracle for it. Luckily sqlserver is incapable of being an enterprise class product, just because of its poor architecture and vendor lock-in, so your 'objections' are futile.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA