Re: Can a procedure contain only a SELECT statement?

From: Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 20:33:09 +0100

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 11:51:59 -0700 (PDT), Thomas Gagne <tggagne_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>So is there a way to use packaged procedures to select data without
>using cursors? It would be great if I could use the same syntax
>inside SQLDeveloper as I might inside a program, and process the
>results similarly to how normal selects are handled.

No, it is not possible.
Unlike 'products' like T-SQL, which abusively rapes the PROCEDURE concept to return a resultset, PL/SQL is a *REAL* programming language, which doesn't force you to use crutches like temporary tables.
This also measn the 'wisdom' of Mladen Gogala Oracle 'lacks' transactional DDL is incorrect. Oracle doesn't *NEED* crap constructs like 'transactional DDL'. In the Oracle world systems are *designed* and not 'hacked together'. Maybe Mladen Gogala's applications are, and in that case he might better switch to craphola RDBMS-es completely.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA