Re: The penny hasn't dropped yet...

From: John Hurley <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 10:23:19 -0800 (PST)

On Mar 2, 7:35 pm, Noons <wizofo..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

snip

> Got this from MOS, after submitting a SR:
>
> Dear My Oracle Support Customer
> Service Request #3-1506509011 does not have Configuration Id, it is
> recommended that you provide one to receive a faster solution.
> Thank you,
> The My Oracle Support Team
>
> Amazing!  Now, not only do we have to pay through our noses for ANY
> support, if we don't install a viral tool that sends unknown
> information to Oracle, we get low-speed solutions as well?
>
> When are these geniuses gonna fathom that only an ignorant,
> irresponsible moron would accept to install a "configuration tool"
> that sends undisclosed information to Oracle, including such pearls as
> the internal MAC address of network cards?
>
> Apparently, it hasn't dropped yet with these geniuses that NO ONE in
> their right state of mind will accept to install such a tool.

You do not need to run the Oracle Config Manager "live" you can run it disconnected so that it gathers the config information required to get an SR moving and then you can feed in the output.

http://www.pythian.com/news/644/oracle-configuration-manager-bane-or-blessing/

Since you can gather the information disconnected you are free to look at all this information before you ship it into Oracle.

As long as Oracle support makes up the rules about "necessary" information ... well there's not much we can do if we need them to work on an SR.

You can try going up the support foodchain without supplying it. Received on Wed Mar 03 2010 - 12:23:19 CST

Original text of this message