Re: database network performance requirements

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 10:23:31 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 6, 12:31 pm, Ryan_Hoffman <hoffman.r..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

snip

> Can you comment on SYNC backup (realtime)?  Is there a particular
> latency and loss threshold you wouldn't want to exceed; since these
> directly impact the application response for the client?
>
> I've found a variety of marketing names the db vendors use for SYNC
> and ASYNC backups.  I'm curious if there are generic names DBA's use
> for these functions?  I was thinking 'hot standby' for SYNC and
> perhaps 'WAN replication' for ASYNC.

You lost me completely here.

You backup an Oracle database using rman. Best backups are done to disk since they go much faster than backups to tape and if you have to use the backup recovery from disk versus tape is much faster.

Are you talking about replicating a database?

Synchronous replication can carry a severe performance penalty especially for commit happy applications. Asynchronous replication carries the risk of data loss but reduces the performance hit. Log file sync is the oracle wait event that is especially useful when looking at the relative performance hit of synch versus asynch replication. Received on Sat Feb 06 2010 - 12:23:31 CST

Original text of this message