Re: find position of row in set of rows

From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 18:37:29 +0100

On 29.01.2010 20:58, Mladen Gogala wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 18:01:18 +0100, Robert Klemme wrote:
>
>> I don't fully agree: certainly relational DB and SQL started out at
>> relational algebra, but there are significant features (even in standard
>> SQL) that are not really covered by set theory (just to name ORDER BY
>> and the Oracle specific CONNECT BY).
>
> That is because of the infidels who have polluted our, otherwise pure,
> mathematical theory. That's nothing that a good jihad couldn't sort out.
> Kantor, Zermelo and Goedel must be turning in their graves.

I wonder whether we can make better use of that kinetic energy than jihad...

How come I never noticed that you are such an idealist? Actually, I would have thought that idealism is rather a hindrance for a DBA and that the job rather calls for pragmatism. :-)

Cheers

        robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/