Re: Certification matrix for Windows 7

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 09:25:16 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 13, 11:08 pm, "Arne Ortlinghaus" <Arne.Ortlingh..._at_acs.it> wrote:
> Until now we did not have any problems on Windows 7 for Oracle products that
> are certified for Windows 2008/Vista although the "prerequisites" in the
> installer show failures. So I would say that it is not so necessary to wait
> for certified products.

Depends on the meaning of "necessary."

To me, support is "necessary," because it will always go to hell. Not that support will necessarily get you out. But is surely helps to get patches, and there can be a whole lot of work when you run into things that are broke, and you don't know where the cause is. The prerequisite checks could surely be better, but at least for production work, I believe all complaints from the db should be resolved.

For playing around, hey, do what you want. But even for that, if you have control over your environment, why ask for extra work?

I was going to joke around about Mladen and Frank's responses, but the Windows mind-set of over-estimating how plugable software parts are is reasonable to abuse.
(The joke I held back because I didn't want to offend people in the .pl domain who mightn't get it: "What's wrong guys, don't you like .pl extensions?" .pl is a common extension for perl command filenames, of course.)

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
"Yes, we're all too obese!"  - anorexic bubbleheaded bleach-blond