Re: Connections which go bad

From: Troels Arvin <troels_at_arvin.dk>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 12:24:00 +0000 (UTC)

Troels Arvin wrote:

Hello,

Yet another followup to my own question:

> The "(ENABLE=BROKEN)" option asks the operating system to regularly send
> TCP keep-alive messages for the connection.

To make a difference, in my case, an operating system parameter regarding keep-alive had to be adjusted. The JDBC app runs on AIX, and this command was needed on the AIX server:
no -o tcp_keepidle=200

This means that the OS will wait and see for 200 half-seconds: If the connection is still idle after this time, keep-alive packets will start being sent at regular intervals.

(Default is 14400, so going all the way to 200 may be an overkill, but it seems to work here. And keep-alive packets don't amount to much trafic.)

Note: When the server reboots, the parameter is reset to default, so the "no" command needs to be integrated in a suiting boot script. Received on Wed Jan 13 2010 - 06:24:00 CST

Original text of this message