Connections which go bad

From: Troels Arvin <>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 08:41:37 +0000 (UTC)

I'm having trouble with JDBC transactions to an Oracle which are dropped after a while of inactivity.

The situation can be reproduced using sqlplus:

E.g. at time t1, I connect with sqlplus and run a simple query like

SQL> SELECT banner FROM v$version;

Oracle Database 11g Release - 64bit Production PL/SQL Release - Production
CORE Production
TNS for Linux: Version - Production NLSRTL Version - Production

All fine. Now, I leave the terminal and return an hour or two later, and perform a "SELECT banner FROM v$version;" again. The sqlplus session is silent for around five minutes, and then responds:

SELECT banner FROM v$version
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel Process ID: 5103
Session ID: 218 Serial number: 22182

The sqlplus client in this case is v. 11.2 64 bit on Linux.

Can some parameter be set so that a keep-alive like method is employed on the wire to keep connections alive?

Troels Arvin